Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Who wants donut cake?

Hi All,

It's Megan posting today.  I'm one of Angie's CT, and we are going to be invading her blog every once in a while.  I will be sharing some recipes and highlight some of Angie's work.

Today's post really isn't a recipe, but it is a really fun idea!  I'm going to show you how I made a really simple centerpiece out of donuts, which can be used for just about anything.  Including a birthday cake.  Actually, I can't take the credit, because my then 2 year old suggested the idea.  He saw me stack some donuts on a plate, and thought it was a "donut cake".  This was in March, and ever since, he's said he wants a donut cake for his 3rd birthday.

First Step:  Order desired quantity of donuts.  You don't have to use them all for the "cake", I just ordered enough so all the guests at the party could have at least one.  I called ahead because my son had a special request (cake donuts with chocolate frosting and colored sprinkles), and I wanted to make sure there would be enough for the special occasion. My grandparents picked them up for me on their way to the party.  I pre-paid to make it even easier.

Second Step:  Stack donuts on plate or platter.  We used a pyramid shape.  You can use whatever shape or size you want depending on the purpose of the "cake".  Remember you don't have to use all of the donuts if you don't want.  They can be served separately.

Third Step: Decorate.  We used some big star sprinkles to add some fun.  We stuck the "3" candle on top, and placed 3 smaller candles around the "3" candle.  I kept it simple.

Fourth Step: Enjoy!  Poor Vaughn just couldn't wait to dig in.  He grabbed one from the stash and gobbled it up.  It was his birthday after all!

Here's the finished product:


Another fun way to top off a birthday party is to send personalized thank-you cards.  Angie's kit "Blast Off" worked perfectly for this one.  Now if I could just find time to send them...



Your Turn!  I'd love to hear about all the ways you make birthdays special and personalized.  It's so fun to see what ideas everyone else comes up with.  Comment Away!

No comments: